Thursday, January 24, 2013

Coping with Stress



When something goes wrong in life, my first instinct is to eat. Some people crave booze, others just want to shop; I desire junk food.

This is one of the habits that I need to work harder to rectify. One aspect of my coping method that needs improvement. 

I’m very sensitive. Small things hit me hard. And every time my internal reaction is the same. Food will make this better. Pizza or ice cream or, whatever. This becomes difficult when the problem is directly related to how I look. When my jeans are too tight or people make insensitive comments, I want to find comfort in food. It’s a vicious cycle that I’m sure some of you know well. 

One thing that I hope to accomplish this year is to take that nervous frustrated energy and turn it toward exercise. So that one day when I’m upset over a poor grade or not getting a job, my reaction will be to go for a walk, rather than to order pizza.

I did all right today. I took a walk to the mall to run some errands, and looked into a gym membership. The gym at our mall is not ideal, but it’s amazingly close and has elliptical machines and what else do I really need? 

I miss the elliptical machine. 

I stress myself out on a regular basis. I take on too much and when one thing goes a little bit wrong I panic. If I can use that panic as motivation and turn my unhealthy emotions into a positive change for my health, well, I see that as a win. 

And for those of you on the other side of the spectrum, who exercise more often than not, may I recommend stress writing? It’s saved my sanity on countless occasions. 

-Mahalo

No comments:

Post a Comment