Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Welcome to The Imperfect Harmony Objective!



How did we get here? 

It’s a good question. I look at our facebook page, up less than a week and growing on a daily basis. I see the supportive emails from friends and family, smile at the comments from strangers (strangers!) who care about what we have to say. What Jessica and I have to offer.

Maile here. I’ll be your mistress of ceremonies, so to speak, on the grand blogging adventure. For those of you who are new here, who found us by the great miracle of social media, allow me to go back a few steps. 

I’m Maile, a Taurus currently living in San Francisco who spends my free time studying for a graduate degree in English and Creative Writing. I know, the blogger is studying creative writing, what’s next, the other founder majored in Women’s Studies?

That’s Jessica, former Women’s Studies major, a girl who will be the first to deny the words that I’m about to write. She’s brilliant, talented as all hell, and a lover of all creatures. Like an animated princess.

Only, unlike a Disney heroine, Jessica has a very real case of insecurity. I do too. Hell, you probably do, if you made it this far. That’s how this all began.

Jessica and I became friends in the same way that many of the great relationships of my life have started; we were working on a show together. She was the stage manager of a musical, and I was her lowly assistant. We bonded within about thirty seconds. We would continue to stage manage aside one another (and occasionally act) until we each moved away from Southern California. I moved to one of the greatest cities in the country and she moved to the apparently gorgeous Idaho. (No really, her town is featured in magazines just for being beautiful, it’s that gorgeous!)

We remained friends through the magic of the Internet and text messaging. Ah facebook, what did we ever do without you? It was a few months back when Jessica approached me for advice on a project. I was familiar with her body image issues, and she with mine, but I feel that she came to me on an academic level. 

My undergraduate degree is in Psychology and, like Jessica, I have a strong drive to help others? We border on Pollyannaish at times. 

I was hooked and begged to be a part of her endeavor. Pleaded. Like a puppy. Amazingly enough, she agreed.

Once we were teamed up, the ideas kept on flowing. We were brainstorming right and left and The Imperfect Harmony Objective was born. 

And here you are. Reading my words. Looking at our webpage. Days away from reading our unique stories and struggles. We are humbled and honored and overwhelmed by your support. Truly. 

Before I close this for the day, the first blog post of many, I’d like to share three of the things that Jessica and I hope to accomplish with The Imperfect Harmony Objective.
  • We want to provide a safe haven for people who wish to share their stories. We will absolutely keep your confidence and only publish as much information as you wish to share. We in turn hope that you, our readers, treat one another with such respect. This is a place of love and support.
  • We want to show that body image issues and eating disorders come in all shapes and sizes. A size 0 may be just as insecure as a size 20. A man can be just as insecure as his girlfriend. We’re all in this together.
  • We want to help people the way that we’ve helped one another. We want to provide resources, tools, and kindness.
So there’s a little about us, and a snapshot as to the beginning of The Imperfect Harmony Objective. You’re going to be learning a lot more about us throughout 2013, and we hope that you will share a bit of yourselves with us as well. 

-Mahalo

No comments:

Post a Comment