Sunday, January 27, 2013

Drinking



I’ll never drink again.

How many of us have said those words? 

I know that I have. Time and time again. Only unlike many people my alcohol induced remorse doesn’t involve drunk dialing an ex or spending the evening in the company of a stranger. I find comfort with the dangerous siren of my kitchen, of fast food, of midnight snacks that upset my belly more than the tequila, wine, or rum.

My mother explained this to me when I was younger. I asked about drinking, and why it was so bad and she told me how alcohol lowers our inhibitions. Perhaps because I was too young to understand the concept of a one night stand, she used dieting as an example. During the week someone may diligently stick to their diet, then a few screwdrivers later and BAM they’re chasing a hamburger with an ice cream sundae. 

My guilty pleasure is often Mexican food. The other night it was a midnight quesadilla. A shame that I feel compelled to share with you all as a part of my healing process. As an attempt to tell other drunk eaters that you’re not alone. 

That’s why Jessica and I are here, to show people that they’re not alone. 

We are not alone.

I’m sure that I’ll drink again. I’m a social drinker who lives in a town of public transportation. My hangovers are minimal and I enjoy the occasional cocktail. But if I can’t move away from drunk eating, then I will have to reevaluate that decision.

-Mahalo

No comments:

Post a Comment