Thursday, January 10, 2013

Jessica's Story



Today I’d like to share something a little unique with you. Jessica bravely offered to share her story, and I foolishly offered to interview her. What followed was a touching conversation where I managed to learn even more about my brave friend and continue to be in awe of her courage and personal journey. 


Jessica, about how long have you suffered from body image issues?
Since I was nine years old. 

And in that time, what issues did you face?
Well, I've been off and on anorexic (physically along with the mentality), and in between all those times had severely poor body image. Even when I wasn't physically anorexic, the emotions and the fear of food and seeing myself in the mirror never went away. Even to this day, although I haven’t been anorexic for six years, now and again I want to go out of my house and have fun, but won't because I'm scared to have people look at me. I feel like I stand out in a bad way. I've also had severe depression & anxiety, as well as OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder).

You’ve talked with me before about EDNOS, Eating disorder not otherwise specified; an eating disorder that does not meet the criteria for anorexia or bulimia while sharing traits with those disorders. How does this play into your story?
For all the times that I wasn't physically anorexic, but severely hated myself and felt ashamed of myself when I ate food, I knew that I needed help. I constantly had thoughts of suicide, for I couldn't bear to hate my body any longer. However, I was too nervous and embarrassed to tell my family and friends. I would try to search online for help and the only resources that I could ever find were websites or crisis hotlines exclusively for anorexia and/or bulimia. I would try to call the hotlines when I was afraid I would harm myself, and I felt so alone it was unbearable. It was a VERY last resort to call a hotline. When I did call, they would listen to me explain that I need help, but I'm not physically anorexic, and they would always just admit that they weren't sure where to refer to me since eating disorder treatment clinics would only accept me if I was anorexic, and they didn't have any local resources for my issues. 

Last year in 2012, I started going to a counselor at a place called The King’s Highway, who approaches therapy using the spiritual temple model. After much searching I had finally found counselors whom I loved, and one of them showed me a video that she saw on nightline. She said that she had immediately thought of me. She pulled it up on her iPad, and she stood next to me, with us both in tears. We were so happy to see that my problem that confused people and had them turn me away finally had a name. I was so happy, I felt that I wasn't as alone anymore, and that I wasn't the only one with such horrible inner turmoil when it came to my body image. 

Once I discovered the name of it, I was searching that name all over the internet to try to find resources. But I could hardly find any, and the few that did exist were expensive, and not at all near where I lived. Rather than sitting around wishing there was an option for me, I decided to create a resource in hopes to eliminate the amount of people who feel depressed, anxious, or suicidal like me because they have nowhere to turn to. Even something as simple as this website we are creating can bring so much relief to someone who feels a desperate need for help, even if that help comes in the form of stumbling across a website, showing that many others understand that pain, and that there was someone who considered EDNOS serious enough to have a hub of comfort for those with it.

I apologize if I went a little off topic...

No, this is important. I know that when I was in high school having online friends helped me to grow socially and saved my own depression. How do you think a site like this would have helped you in the past?
I think it would have significantly reduced, if not eliminated my thoughts of suicide. When I was contemplating suicide, it was because I felt that I had nowhere to turn to, and couldn't handle holding in all my feelings and handling all my depression and hopelessness on my own. When I would call hotlines, and they told me they didn't have anything they knew of to help, it was like confirmation that yes, I was alone. Also, I think I could have learned from a younger age relaxation and healthy self-love techniques, I try to do these regularly, but doing these practices are so foreign to me that it's difficult to make them a habit. I think it could have had the potential to nip my issues in the bud.

You talked earlier about not wanting to leave the house because you feel that people are staring at you. How else has this disorder impacted your day to day life?
It determines what I eat each day. I often forget that I do this because it's become such a force of habit, but whenever I pick something out of my fridge or cupboard, I know the exact serving size, calories, fat calories, and fat grams. I have it ALL memorized. And when I decide what I want to eat, I look at the food choices in my fridge, and rather than looking at what items look appetizing at the moment, I view everything as a number and a consequence. To determine what I eat, I first view the numbers in my mind from the nutritional info, and then I think of what my day will entail if I eat that item. 

For example, if I'm eating a big bread item for breakfast I think, do I want to be able to have something hearty like pasta for dinner? Because if I have a lot of bread at breakfast that means I have to skip lunch and eat a salad for dinner. Or I can eat lots of bread, but will have to workout for an hour and I will tell myself I'm worthless for the rest of the day in order to be more disciplined the next day. Often times if friends want to go out and eat or get coffee, I won’t, because I am afraid that I won't be able to resist getting something I "shouldn't." In general, every meal I eat may determine my level of self-loathing and depression during the whole day

I know that for me the phrase that jumped out is your feeling that you're "worthless" if you eat. That feeling may be familiar to many of us who struggle with these issues. How are you working to silence that voice?
Well the primary thing I'm doing is this organization and website. When I did my undergrad thesis, I did it on the benefits of feminist therapy (a therapy method that feels one should become the active agent in the relationship of whatever has made you passive). In my case, my eating disorder has consumed me and has controlled me, but by taking these steps to overcome it, I am actively taking control over it rather than the other way around. 

Other than this, small everyday things that I do are frequent small prayers throughout the day, going to coffee shops and reading or surfing the web (this is one of my favorite things to do), and doing zumba and yoga. As I mentioned earlier, it's very difficult to make a habit of doing good things for myself, so I'll go through periods where I do these things more consistently than others.

Jessica, as I'm sure you know I'm working on my own testimonial, and frankly, I'm petrified. As a founder of this organization you could have simply been a figure head and shared the stories of others. Why did you feel that it was so important to share your struggles?
To be completely honest, I am actually terrified of this interview being posted. Only about five people have ever known about these issues until I went public with it two days ago, so I still feel very uncomfortable with sharing all this. 

However, since I've been dreaming of creating this organization for five years, and now that it's finally all happening, I know this is what I need to do. Not only to encourage others to take a step in their healing process by sharing as well, but so people know that they aren't alone. I realized, if I went through these painful struggles for most of my life, I would hate if I kept it silent, and I went through it (and would continue to go through it) without it making a difference in my life. The pain would have felt like a waste to me. But I realized, if I share my struggles, they have the potential to make people not feel alone, and could possibly help heal others. That way, if the pain I went through could help even one person not feel the same way as me, then I would go through it all over again, because it wasn't all for naught.

Before we end this conversation, I wanted to ask if there is any event or moment in particular that you'd like to share? Any moment, big or small, that you feel is an important part of your story?
One thing comes to mind-It's a mix between a big and a small moment. It was a quick and small moment when I realized that I was meant to be with my husband. Long before he knew that I liked him in that way, I had a sense in my mind that without a doubt he was my soul mate. Seven months after that moment was when we started dating, and the first few months we were together he helped me realize how much of living life I had been missing. I always thought life was painful and made to just scrape by, he opened my eyes to how joyful life could be. When you have a poor relationship with food, it can almost completely shelter you from what is fun and joyful about life.

That's around the time that I met you as well. In that time I have seen you perform on stage and become more confident with yourself. If you could tell the girl you were before that moment anything, what would it be?
To keep holding on for longer, because even though it will be a long wait, you will meet people who will listen and understand you, and who want to help you with all their being.

That's beautiful. Jessica, your story, while heartbreaking, appears to have a happy ending. It has led you to The Imperfect Harmony Objective and your friendship has certainly enhanced my life. In closing what would you like to say to our new readers about The Imperfect Harmony Objective, body image or self esteem?
To not feel discouraged by anything we post, to keep in mind that no matter what tips, blogs, or encouragements we post, we are still healing along with you. This is a process that you have to remind yourself to upkeep. 

To keep in mind that whatever methods may have helped myself, Maile, or anyone else whose story is shared on our website might not be the right method for your own healing.

To not feel that anyone who is successful is perfect and that you are somehow the one who got it wrong. I have felt that way many times, and it has discouraged me significantly from getting help. 

To remember that no matter how easy or difficult someone's journey was, or how speedy or slow someone's recovery is, to stay confident that your method of healing and people of support are out there.

I couldn’t have said it better myself. 

Are you interested in sharing your own story with our readers? If so, please email me at Maile@Imperfectharmony.org

-Mahalo

No comments:

Post a Comment